Saturday, August 9, 2008

PROVO RIVER HALF MARATHON

So today was the big day...We got up at 4am met my brother and his wife to ride down to Provo. We checked in then hopped on a bus and away we went. We stood in line for the yucky port-a- potties and went to the starting line. It was crazy...not sure how many people, my sister-in-laws bib number was in the 2200's. Anyways, the race started late and it was down hill for the first 5 miles. I was starting to get blisters so I stopped to put some stuff on my feet. Andy had to go potty so he told me he would catch up...and he did. He was ever so kind to run with me. I had not been training very well and the farthest I had run was 6 miles so my feet were not at all prepared. I was so disappointed in myself. About mile 11 I came to a brick wall with my feet and had to walk most of way to the finish line. My brother and his wife were waiting to cheer me on and walked with us for a little bit. They suggested I take my shoes off, so I did and I wish I would have done that a long time ago. It felt so much better. So I ran the rest of the way in socks!
Right now I am lying in bed and I am really sore and I did something to my left ankle, but overall it was a great experience and a very needed learning experience! Things I learned: I need to train better (duh!), I need to wear better running socks, and I need to lube up my feet so I won't get blisters. I will do another one but I will take into consideration my learning experience and not have problems! My goal was to finish in 2 hrs 30 minutes, but since I ended up walking a lot I finished in 2 hours 42 minutes. So if I would have ran the last 2.1 miles I could have made my goal and maybe even beat it. Oh Well, it was my first one and I am just happy I finished!
Thanks Andrew for running me and encouraging me! You are such a trooper!

4 comments:

Shelley Eggett said...

I'm so proud of you!! Whether you walked or ran, way to go!

Steven and Whitney said...

Go Holly! Wish I could even do it in the first place--I don't run. . . unless I'm running for my life, I guess, and then I'd really be in trouble! Sucks about Kamri. She's such a happy little girl that it's hard to picture her sick. Glad she feels better.

Ty and Mari said...

Congrats sister!!!! You are awesome!

Mimi said...

Wow... you are so fancy!! I can't run around the block!! Good job lady.

Thanks for your comments on my blog... you are so sweet!