Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Spring Break in Sunny St. George

Haven't had time to write about our fun vacation...so here it goes...

We arrived Wednesday afternoon, checked in to our Hotel (the new La Quinta) it was great. Hung out for a little bit, then went to surprise AJ at his soccer game. We told him we were not going to make it because I had to work, but we lied...we left Heber at 11 and got there at 4. Not to bad when you are driving with 4 kids in the car and one only 6 months old who hates her car seat. After the game we went to Chili's to eat and tell the kids we are giving them each $20 to do whatever they want with. McKade and Jadyn were pretty excited, not so sure Anycia and AJ were excited. But I thought it was pretty cool...hey free money to buy whatever you want! WAHOO! I took the kids swimming that night...it was windy and a bit chilly.

Thursday we got up ate breakfast at the hotel, Andy went for a run and I took the kids to Wal-Mart because I needed a new diaper bag because my strap broke...some ended up buying a few things with their money. After we hung out by the pool while Andy went golfing with his friend Shawn Holmes. (his wife and kids came swimming) Again the wind was blowing and it was a bit chilly...too cold. So we got dressed and went to lunch at McDonalds so the kids could play...YUMMY! Kamri decided it was time to have a big blowout...so we were going to go back and get her clothes and take the kids to the wildlife museum, but when we arrived at the hotel it was warm so the kids got their swim suits back on and went swimming...this time it was much warmer and nicer. We met the boys at Bajio and Panda Express for dinner.

Friday we got up to meet my family to go to ZIONS NATIONAL PARK! We arrived and got on the shuttles to go to emerald pools...we figured that would be a good little hike for the younger kiddies. To the first pool it was paved and we had not trouble with the strollers...but then we realized that you can't take the strollers past the first pool...so those who had strollers turned around and went back and the rest of us went on. I had Kamri on my back and we went hiking. It was lots of fun. The kids enjoyed it, I think! After we were done hiking we decided to let the kids get ice cream and then we would have lunch later. We got back to our cars and went to Washington to Texas Roadhouse. It opened at 4 but people started arriving at 3:50 just so they would have to wait 2 hours to be seated...it was a great steak house and not too pricey. I would like to try it when Andy wasn't sick to his stomach and order a big steak and not feel guilty for eating it! Andy and I went and picked up our race packets for Saturdays run 4 kids races. After we went back to the Hotel...yep you guessed it we went swimming, again! Hey what's a vacation if you can't go swimming?

Saturday was race day! We all got up early to be to the start by 7:15. It was lots of fun. The little kids ran the 1k first then the 5k and 10k followed a half hour later. Andy, AJ, Erin (my sister), and Dave (my brother) ran the 10k. My mom, Anycia, and I ran the 5k. Andy took 2nd in his age division losing to the 1st placer by 2 seconds. AJ took 2ND in his age division. Erin took 1st in her age division and 3rd overall woman! Anycia took 1st in her age division. Dave, my mom and I just ran it and finished! Andy says we were the most inspirational...look at him be nice! This was Anycia's, my mom's, and my first race ever! My goal for myself was to finish under 30 minutes and I did it in 29:29...considering the hills I was happy. So after the races Andy needed to go rest because he still had the stomach bug...so most of us went to take a nap. Kade and Jadyn went with my parents, Dave and kids, Amy n Steve and kids to eat lunch and then they went to the wildlife museum and we met up with them at the Dixie rock to hike for a bit. It is just so pretty on those red rocks to hike! Today was by far the best day for the warm weather...

Sunday was time to pack up and get ready to leave...but it was absolutely perfect weather so we got a extended check out time and swam that morning...yep we went swimming again! But it was so perfect...for some odd reason the last few times we have gone to St. George the day we leave is by far the best day. (weather wise) It was just perfect it was so hard to leave the sun, but when we got home at 5 it was just as beautiful here. Nice, sunny and warm!

We all had lots of fun...our next get together with some of my family is for the October St. George Marathon where Andy (husband), Erin (my sister), Dave (my brother), Mari (my sister), and Tyler (my brother-in-law)will be running! I am so proud that my family is getting into exercising together! It is wonderful to do things to get us healthy! Some of us really really needed it...it has been far too long of being out of shape and just being plain fat (that's me I am talking about). But all in all it was a fabulous vacation...sometimes a vacation after the vacation is what a mother needs...if you all understand what I am saying. Vacations sometimes are not so relaxing for the parents when you have kids there. Don't get me wrong I love all my kids and I like to take them on vacations but it is a lot of work too. But a vacations without the kids is the relaxing kind. One day I will get one! (wink, wink, Andrew!!)
~I don't have photos on this laptop to show all the fun times so I will put them on later!

2 comments:

Erin said...

What a fun, busy trip! Wow, congrats on your first 5k. That's so awesome. I am going to try and run one this fall, but so far I'm NOT excited! Running isn't my favorite, but I think it would feel like a huge accomplishment. My sister (Micah) wanted me to train for the SLC marathon.....I think I'll just work on the 5k!

Good Job!

Shelley Eggett said...

Way to go Holly, running a 5k that is impressive. I know what you mean about needing a vacation from a vacation. They are a lot of work with kids, but so worth it.